Tuesday, December 29, 2009

In which I beat myself up for not sticking to anything...

Well folks, it's that time again. The new year. Clean slate. Tabula rasa, as it were. And, yet again, I let myself down. I'll briefly summarize my goals for 2009 and then let you know how I did.
  • I was going to write more this year. Well, that's a wash, I guess. My mom would tell you that my writing went WAAY down on this blog, which is true, but I spent a ton of time writing about Hokie football at The Football Girl, and although it's not a paying gig or anything, I did get asked to be a featured writer at Fire Bryan Stinespring.com, even though I don't do it much. I noticed during football season that my stats from the football site were like 10 times higher than those for this humble blog, so I focused my efforts there. Which made my mom mad, but didn't get much reaction from anyone else. I started this blog with several goals, one of which was to keep my family and friends updated on my children, but the other was to be able to just write, you know? Write about what was making me happy, what was making me sad, what was keeping me sane. (Or insane). I didn't do much of that. This was a rough year for me in a lot of ways, and I chickened out about airing my dirty laundry in a public forum. Maybe I didn't want my spotless reputation tarnished. Maybe I didn't want to admit weakness. Maybe I was just too sad to write. I don't know.
  • I was going to watch less trash tv in 2009. And, I did it, pretty much. I stayed away from VH1 reality shows for the most part, and found a few new shows that I adore, like Glee, Modern Family, and Castle, which I have to credit my husband for keeping on the DVR for an inordinately long time, long enough to get me interested.
  • I was going to exercise twice a week. Well, didn't happen. I am hanging my head, and my flabby body, in shame.
  • I was going to admit that I'm not a crafty/bakey mom. I sort of did this, I guess. When my good friend Deb wanted to get the kids together to bake Christmas cookies, I flatly refused. So ha.

So what do I want to do this year? Shall I set the same goals? Just admit that I'll never be the writer I dream about? Face the facts that there will never be a book out there with my name as the author? Quit blogging altogether? I just don't know. Just like I don't know how to end this entry. So, I'll say this; to be continued, okay?

No comments: