Thursday, April 16, 2009

I remember.



Today, I remember. I remember all those who lost loved ones to this horror. I remember those doctors, police officers, and EMT's who must continue to relive the sight of so much devastation. I remember all those who cried tears and pray that God will continue to comfort them. And yet, I rejoice. I rejoice in the spirit of Virginia Tech. I rejoice that I count myself among those blessed to be in the Hokie Nation. I rejoice in a country that embraced this tragedy and made sure those who died did not do so in vain. I will never forget, but I know that we will heal. We are, after all, Virginia Tech. In the words of Professor Nikki Giovanni:

We are Virginia Tech.
We are sad today, and we will be sad for quite a while.
We are not moving on, we are embracing our mourning.
We are Virginia
Tech.
We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly, we are brave enough to
bend to cry, and we are sad enough to know that we must laugh again.
We are
Virginia Tech.
We do not understand this tragedy. We know we did nothing to
deserve it, but neither does a child in Africa dying of AIDS, neither do the
invisible children walking the night away to avoid being captured by the rogue
army, neither does the baby elephant watching his community being devastated for
ivory, neither does the Mexican child looking for fresh water, neither does the
Appalachian infant killed in the middle of the night in his crib in the home his
father built with his own hands being run over by a boulder because the land was
destabilized. No one deserves a tragedy.
We are Virginia Tech.
The Hokie
Nation embraces our own and reaches out with open heart and hands to those who
offer their hearts and minds. We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and
unafraid. We are better than we think and not quite what we want to be. We are
alive to the imaginations and the possibilities. We will continue to invent the
future through our blood and tears and through all our sadness.
We are the
Hokies.
We will prevail.
We will prevail.
We will prevail.
We are
Virginia Tech.


1 comment:

Mimi said...

Did you read my post on Facebook?