Friday, June 26, 2009

Is it worth the effort?

A while back, I somehow stumbled on a blog written by an extremely talented woman named Rita Ahrens. Since then, I've been reading religiously. The other day, she posted about her daughter and a ballet recital. I'll let you read the full version for yourself, but it contained one of the best lines I've heard in a while.

Mommy," she said. "Will I ever be a big ballerina like that?"

I didn't know the answer to that question. Will she stay with it? Will her flat feet bring her down? Will she be good at it?

So I told her what I've learned in 35 years. "Baby," I said, "it depends on whether you'll think it's worth the effort."


True that. And so it goes for almost everything. Is it worth the effort? Maybe this is one of those great truths in life. When you find the thing(s) that are worth the effort, maybe you've discovered your secret of life. As Curly told us in City Slickers, the secret of life is 1 thing. And you have to decide what that one thing is.

What's yours?

No comments: