Monday, November 17, 2008

To Whom Much is Given, Much is Expected.

I had someone steal from me over the weekend. What they took wasn't terribly valuable, and it was (somewhat) returned, and they apologized, but I am struggling with this nonetheless. I'm struggling, first, with the fact that someone went through my things and stole from me, which is an icky sort of violation, I'm struggling with the fact that when they returned the things they stole, they didn't return everything, and I'm struggling with the fact that I'm not sure what my role as a Christian here is. I forgive her for what she did. I even kind of understand why she did it. I like to think of myself as a caring and forgiving person, someone who does look out for the least of these, and for the most part, I think I am. But yet, I'm angry. And disappointed. And, a part of me wants my stuff back. I'm ashamed of that part. I have been given so much, and to quibble over a few small things seems petty, but to me, it kind of negates the apology. It's kind of like "I'm sorry I got caught, but I'm gambling you won't notice I didn't bring everything back cause I'd like to keep your Vera Wang Princess perfume". If you wanted to keep it, you could have just asked me, instead of stealing from me. I'm open to all suggestions and advice here. Just needed to share.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

When Jeb was in middle school, some one stole his pair of "cool tennis shoes" from gym. I found out who did it. Bottom line--his mother was a waitress, his father was in prison, his own cheap sneaks weren't cool or in very good shape. I did nothing. I figured he wanted what he saw others having and had no other way to get it. Maybe that was the wrong call, I'm not sure. Harder for you is--what will you do if she wants to bring her daughters again? I'm sorry you are hurt and feel violated. It is terrible having someone go thru your things.

Tracy said...

I had my house broken into when I was in college. My room was on the first floor and mine was the only room they got to (I quickly moved upstairs after the event). It is such an icky feeling to be violated like that. Your reaction to be angry and want your stuff back is normal. You won't get it back, but taking the moral high ground will in the end give you a sense of peace. As I said a few blogs ago, there are those that work hard for what they have and others that simply just want what others have. It's not fair, but it is unfortunately a fact of life. At least now, I know what to get you for Xmas (too early to joke about it?).