Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What really matters?

Therein lies the question, my friends. Since it is a new year, one cannot help but think about life and possibly make some resolutions. Now, keep in mind that I am not a resolution kind of gal. I think that most are just too vague, like "save money", or too difficult to attain, "lose weight", or downright impossible, "be a better person". Mind you, I'd like to do all of these things, but I know I'm not that strong a chick. First, I love to shop at Target way too much for save money to be a realistic goal, even though I have done a good job this year of curbing my spending. Second, I do like to eat and I don't much like to exercise, so lose weight will also be a challenge. Third, I try every day to be a better person. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes I fail miserably. But, I do think that good often comes from self-reflection, and there are some areas where a little bit of effort may net me a lot of results. My kids like to listen to a kid's Christian band called Go Fish, and they sing a song called "Snazzy". One of the lines goes like this, "So if you've got a dream, give it all you've got. Be who you are and just let go of what you're not. If we even get tomorrow it'll be over quick, you only get one chance so you better make it stick". Kinda deep for kids music. But true. So this year, I do resolve to be who I am, and do what I love. And, not do what I don't love. So, in the spirit of resolutioning, here goes:
  • I am going to write more this year. It is truly my passion, and one of the things that just brings me joy. I'm not going to say I don't have time. I just choose to do other things with my time.
  • I am, sadly, because this is going to be really tough for me, going to give up ridiculous reality shows. Perhaps the reason I haven't been writing is that I have been wasting my time watching Rock of Love Bus on VH1. I may have to wean myself off slowly, but it is going to happen. Now, mind you, I'm still going to watch the biggies, like American Idol and Survivor, and I'm really interested in Sober House on VH1, because I am fascinated by the struggles with addiction, but I can't keep falling prey to garbage that sucks my time and my mental energy.
  • I am going to aim to exercise twice a week, maybe even three times. I belong to Curves, and was doing very well about going. When winter hit, however, and my life got a little busier, it went by the wayside. And I was quick to use my favorite excuse, that I didn't have time. But I have decided this: if Barack Obama has time to work out for an hour every day then darn it, so do I. Am I really so busy that I can't take 30 minutes to exercise? He was running for president and trying how to pull the country out of recession, and I'm too busy?
  • I am going to embrace the fact that I'm never going to be one of those crafty, bakey, take my kids to the park every day mom. Not that there's anything wrong with that. There's not. In fact, this has been a struggle for me because I want to be that mom, but for reasons both within my control (I hate crafts and everything involved with them) and beyond my control (I'm trying to run a business, here) it's just not going to happen. And that's okay. I'm still a total rock star mom in my own way.

Whew, I'm exhausted. But, I'm also exhilarated. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I have been trying to think through my new year's resolutions and in the next day or two will publish them on my blog. You will be surprised how many of ours overlap. We can keep each other on track. Happy New Year!

Mimi said...

Go, girl! You are a rock star mom,and sad to admit, you inherited your dislike of crafts from your mom.
Lets just concentrate on continuing to be a close, happy,god loving, let's have fun family!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your resolutions--we're on the same page as far as they go. And my theory about those "crafty, bakey, take the kids to the park every day" is that they all have some deep, hidden secret--like they're Stepford Moms or secretly sniffing craft glue. From one rock star mom to another, keep up the good fight!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Keep us posted on how you do with these. :)